Although rhinoplasty is a common surgical procedure, it is complex too. Since the nose is the central part of the facial structure, it effects highly on the appearance. So, if you are considering a rhinoplasty to improve your nose shape and appearance you should be very precise to choose an expert rhinoplasty surgeon to achieve the desired results. The surgeon’s skill, as well as other factors such as your genes, lifestyle habits, health, can contribute to the prognosis of the surgery.
What causes a rhinoplasty go wrong?
There are many patients who their primary rhinoplasty ends up with nose deformities and need revision or secondary rhinoplasty. Some common problem which occurs after the rhinoplasty including:
- Over-extended nose tip. It can occur due to the lack of experience of surgeon especially for patients who have a bump on their nose. Nasal tip construction is a very sensitive procedure that only an experienced surgeon can do it well.
- Pollybeak deformity. This is commonly failed rhinoplasty. It will occur when an inexperienced surgeon ends up filling the little dip above the tip of the nose a bit too much. So, the nose gets a beak-like appearance and turn downwards.
- Nasal collapse. It is the worse failed rhinoplasty that usually needs second or even third rhinoplasty. In this condition the valves in the narrowest part of the nose collapse after the nose job.
- When the cartilage on the sides of the nose is over cut the nose springiness will lose and knuckling or tip bossae will occur. It leads to an unflattering twisted distorted cartilage that make bossae and knuckles which are unsightly and lumpy.
- Distorted tip. This is the result of aggressive cosmetic surgery. Different reasons can cause distorted tip such as removing too much cartilage or nostrils to become too narrow or appear pinched.
- Scooped out bridge. When an osteotome or chisel is used in the operation may cause to leave little room for error. It can lead to takes out the bridge of the nose in one movement. In this condition, revision rhinoplasty can be applied by rebuilding the bridge using cartilage from other parts of the body.
- Breathing problems. Most breathing problems occur within a few weeks or months post up the nose job because of the postoperative swelling or crusting. Although some other problems such as scarring, hypertrophy, deviated septum or major alternations can cause breathing problems.
- Nerve damage and numbness. It is usually common and most patients may experience numbness and nerve damage for some weeks or even months following the surgery. Because during nose job the sensory nerves on the nose and sometimes on the upper lip are temporarily separated. So, it may lead to long-lasting or permanent numbness.
How soon Can I undergo revision rhinoplasty for my botched nose job?
Rhinoplasty can provide you a beautiful appearance and improve your facial attractiveness. But on the other hand, it can be even a disappointing and emotional experience if you don’t satisfy with your nose job results. But don’t worry you have still another chance for correcting your nasal deformity by revision rhinoplasty.
Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most technically challenging cosmetic surgery that is performed following the primary nose job which is failed to provide desirable results. It can improve nose appearance as well as breathing functions.
But you should keep it in your mind you can’t have revision rhinoplasty immediately after your primary nose job. Secondary rhinoplasty can perform at least one year after the primary surgery. You should give enough time to your body to heal, the swelling subsides after the primary surgery and also the scar tissue softens and makes the secondary nose job perform easier. Although after a few months the swelling may not seem significant, it can hide the actual results of the nose job.
General speaking there is some risks with rhinoplasty same as any other surgical procedure and it may don’t provide you the desirable results. But if you find an expert rhinoplasty surgeon who has many experiences in this field, you can decrease the risks and side-effects of the surgery and erase the concerns you may have.