Do you ever had feeling sleepiness when you woke up in the morning? Does the night’s sleep was not enough for you? Morning fatigue is the title of this feeling and may be a sign of different diseases or problems. Sleep is a rest period that body has enough time to releases the daily tensions. In the other word, during the sleep the body is off and is charging for the other day. In the ideal situation, you should wake up energetic after a good and complete sleep.
Everybody needs to inactivity for some minutes after waking up to start the day. This procedure is varying from some minutes to half an hour for different individuals. This is not morning fatigue. The body needs to a short time until be able to wake up of a short winter sleep and culminates the body function. More addition, many peoples are not eager to go to the work early morning. So we can say, some parts of fatigue and dullness in the morning have roots in psychophysiological issues.
What is Morning fatigue?
Morning fatigue is feeling sickness and energy less during the first hours of the day and after waking up. This idiom is unfamiliar and ambiguous. Those who works on the night shift, have morning fatigue, doubtlessly. So, it’s better we define this feeling as the fatigue despites of 7-8 hours of sleeping. The body is not completely energy less in the morning fatigue and despite of the night sleep, it is bored and this feeling continue until the first half of the day.
For example, you should be in the best energetic mood between 8-9 Am, if you sleep at 10 Pm and wake up at 6 Am. Some people may be reach to their peak energy some sooner or later, for instance at 10 Am. Generally, people are more energetic and active in the first half of the day and naturally, their energy will decrease after some while.
Symptoms and signs
Feeling of boredom after sleep and rest is the main symptom of the morning fatigue. Doing usual activity is difficult in this mood. The fatigue symptoms and signs may be physically, emotionally or mentally. These symptoms are as following:
- Muscles pain
- Lymph nodes pain
- Incuriosity and motiveless
- Constant fatigue
- Inability to focus
- Hand-eye incoordination
- Inability to decision making
- Testiness and erratic
- Weak immune system
- Short memory disorder which causes some organizing musings problems and finding appropriate words for expressing. This disorder called brain fog.
- Slow and dull reaction to stimulus
- Vision problems like blurred vision
In the acute and sever cases, the person will have hallucinations.
Also, it is possible afflict to some gastrointestinal problems such as flatulency, stomach aches, constipation, diarrhea and vomiting. Maybe have some similar symptoms with irritable bowel syndrome or IBS.
The symptoms may be intensified by starting the activity and also it is possible be reveal after some hours or a day after activity and exercise.
The reasons of Morning fatigue
Morning fatigue is the symptom of many illnesses that sickness is their main sign. This kind of fatigue may be causes due to some medicine usage. When there is only morning fatigue symptom, the other symptoms will be reveal and indicate the main reason. But usually the common reasons of morning fatigue are disregarded, insofar as this disorder will consider as simple fatigue until months and years later.
These common reasons are as follow:
- Difficulty breathing at night
- Stomach acid reflux
- Alcohol drink and other irritants
- Midnight hunger
Difficulty breathing while sleeping
Difficulty breathing while sleeping have roots in some medical conditions. These conditions include nasal congestion, sinusitis, chronic ileus disorder, heart failure and other diseases. Sleep apnea is a problem that always is ignored and has two central and obstructive types. Sleep apnea occurs when the breathing is stopped for a short time and then causes to waking up until to restart the normal breathing pattern. Although these kinds of waking up are very short and may be don’t remember in the next day, but have effect on the sleep quality. We have mentioned some points about a comfort sleep in the sleep health article that would be useful.
How do we know if we have sleep apnea?
- You can ask your family or your bedfellow that do your breathing stop during sleep?
- You can record your sound at night and understand do you snore during sleep? Although soring usually is not the symptom of sleep apnea, but it can be the sign of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Do you wake up with asphyxia condition?
If your answer is positive to above questions, you have sleep apnea.
Snoring or living with someone who snore
Although sleep apnea and snoring are two different conditions but the possibility of sleep apnea is more for those who snore during sleep. If you don’t have sleep apnea, still snoring can effect on your sleep quality that can be assume as morning fatigue. Your snoring sound may be wake up you and if your family members or your spouse snore, your sleep quality will decrease, too.
Some hints to stope snoring during sleeping
- Try to lose your weight. Even loosing 5 kilograms’ weight will have much effect and help to solve your snoring problem.
- Avoid of using alcohol drink, drugs and sleep tablets.
- Sleep on your side, because when you lying on your back do more snoring.
Stomach acid reflux during sleeping
Stomach acid reflux is known as back up the acid into the esophagus. This disease is common in all of the world. Heartburn is the main reason of stomach acid reflux but silent acid reflex doesn’t have any sign or symptom. Stomach acid reflux increases at night. Lying on your back help to back up the acid from your stomach into the esophagus and causes heartburn. So those who suffer of stomach acid reflux, have bad signs at night and during sleeping. Severe heartburn or regurgitation can wake up you or stop your sleeping. It will cause unrest sleep, even if you don’t wake up by heartburn. If you have regurgitation it doesn’t mean suffering of stomach acid reflux, necessarily and may sphincter (a circular muscle that normally maintains constriction of a natural body passage or orifice) doesn’t have good functioning between esophagus and stomach. Overeating, overuse of alcohol drink, sleeping before appropriate time and eating snacks at midnight causes stomach acid reflux. Some foodstuff intensifies the symptoms, too.
How do we know if we have Stomach acid reflux during sleeping?
- You may have a normal heartburn that will be silence by using anti-acids or milk. And sometimes you may have vomiting or other ambiguous signs that you suppose as dyspepsia.
- When you wake up you may feel a sour taste in your mouth or you may have sore throat which will eliminate during the day.
- You may hear bubble sound from back of your throat or top of your chest.
- And may have extraordinary saliva without any reason.
Use of alcohol drink or irritants before sleeping
It is a wrong idea if you think alcohol drinks usage before sleeping will help you to sleep better. Alcohol drinks will disturb the ordinary sleep pattern. You may sleep easier by less usage but you won’t have good sleep circle. Sedative and even Narcotics have the same effect, although you think you will have good sleep by their usage but you would have morning fatigue and sleepiness. Some irritants like caffeine or nicotine don’t let the body be shut down because stimulates the body immune system. The body needs to rest and sleep without distress and has a good sleep.
How do we sleep without alcohol drinks or irritants?
- Try to stop alcohol drinks, irritants and sedatives usage, your sleep quality would be increase.
- Go to bed on determined time. You can sleep easier in darkness.
- If you can’t sleep without using of special material, you are addicted to that material and should threat your addiction.
It is difficult to sleep when you are hungry. Feeling hungry and weakness will disturb you and when your body needs to foodstuff, disturb your sleep and force you for eating. While, it is not recommended to eat before sleep, especially if you have stomach acid reflux. You should eat enough food in the evening and don’t need to overeating. Keep in your mind that your body is on silent mode for 8 hours and during this time is on the low metabolism status. So it needs less energy.
How to prevent midnight hunger?
- Eat food around 2-3 hours before sleep. It is not too soon that causes feeling hungry and heart pain in midnight.
- Drink a glass of water one hour before sleeping, if you feel hungry.
Avoid of eating heavy food, chocolate, very sweet food, coffee and tea before sleeping.