19 important post Rhinoplasty tips
Dr. Taherian recommends Rhinoplasty patients follow these 19 tips after their nose surgery :
1. Use cold compresses around the nose and under the eyes at least up to 12 hours after the surgery.
2. Avoid excessive laughing and talking during the first weeks.
3. Avoid eating foods that involve chewing (such as: apples, carrots, steak, etc.) up to 24 hours after the surgery. Eat mixed, soft, and smooth foods during this time. Include more fruit juice and soup in your meals.
4. Until the full healing of your nose, avoid crowded environments like subways and buses. These places increase the possibility of accidents that could interpret the healing process or cause damages.
5. In the first few days after surgery, when you want to wake up, ask for assistance, otherwise, you may experience vertigo, I.e., a sensation of whirling and loss of balance.
6. While sleeping, place an extra pillow under your head, so your head is placed higher than your legs. This helps in preventing/ reducing edema in your head.
7. Use a soft tooth brush and try to wear loose clothing so it does not impact your nose when changing.
8. Sneeze with open mouth.
9. In first weeks, due to congregate and atrophy of nasal discharges, you may have difficulties breathing. To solve this problem, you can use a saline solution daily, injected by a 20 cc syringe while standing on your feet. While washing, be careful to avoid getting nose bandages and stickers wet. You can also use a wet cotton swab to clean intranasal lower parts.
10. Avoid thinning out and depletion of discharges with high pressure.
11. Do not use sunglasses or spectacles for two months. You may use lenses if truly needed.
12. In first few months, avoid exposure to sun light and hot environments, I.e., sauna. Heat will result in inflation of tissue. If needed, you may use a hat in the sun.
13. The final shape of your nose is not fully recognizable in the first few days and weeks so avoid looking at yourself in the mirror frequently and do not allow anyone to judge the shape of your nose.
14. Do not smoke. Also, avoid other smokers as much as possible.
15. Avoid intense activities such as lifting heavy objects and intense sport with a lot of movements for at least 6 weeks.
16. Remember that inflation in one side of the nose may be different with the other side, even if the surgery was similar in both sides, do not worry if inflations are not similar.
17. The nose sticker on your nose is used for disinflation and prevents nasal skin sticking the the bone. Keep it dry for as long as you can.
18. Your nose may be numb for several weeks after the surgery. The return of senses in nose tip takes longer. You will feel as if the nose tip is bigger during anesthesia time. (Like the feeling you have after dental anesthesia in your lips.)
19. Write down every single issue that comes to mind and ask them during the visits with your doctor.
The patient must be aware of the fact that nose cosmetic surgery is not only related to the size and the form of the nose, but a beautiful nose is the one in harmony with all parts of the face. Those patients who seek so called doll-nose surgery and other nose jobs must consider this fact.
It is also notable that these explanations will be presented to patients during doctor visits.
For example, in bulky noses (a nose with thick skin) the surgeon is not able to minify the nose tip because he/she cannot change the material of skin and most of his work will be concentrated on cartilages and nasal bones.
When the nose is minified, nasal skin will start to adapt gradually to become compatible with new size. This process takes less time for thinner nasal skins compared to thicker ones, but for too of a thick skin, this will never happen. It is mentionable that not all large tipped noses are bulky and largeness may be related to largeness of cartilages which does not make it a problem for surgery.