Everything you need to know about rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty also called nose job or nose surgery is the most common cosmetic surgery. It improves the appearance and treats the breathing problems resulting from irregularities inside the nose. Since the nose is the most defining characteristic of the face, so any deformity in this area causes the whole face becomes less appealing. For that reason, nose surgery has such a great and considerable effect on an individual’s appearance and self-image. That’s why the number of men rhinoplasty is increasing day by day while it may seem most women wish to undergo a nose job.
Am I right candidate for rhinoplasty?
You may be a good candidate for a nose job if:
- You have a large or oversized nose
- Your current nose makes you unhappy and self-conscious
- You have crooked or asymmetrical nose due to birth defects or any trauma
- You have a nasal bump
- You are the right age for rhinoplasty because you need to wait your nose stop growing and changing significantly at least until the mid-teens
- You don’t smoke
- You have realistic expectations about the surgery results and want to improve the way you look, not look perfect.
- You are in good physical condition. If you have serious health problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, bleeding disorder or diabetes may not be a good candidate for nose surgery.
Risks of rhinoplasty
According to statistics, nose surgery is associated with some risks and complications such as any other surgery including:
- The symptoms of infection post-op rhinoplasty include fever, redness, skin warmth and drainage, increasing pain and swelling.
- Anesthesia reaction
- Skin contour abnormalities and swelling
- Difficulty breathing
- A hole in the septum (septal perforation)
- Nose asymmetry
- Temporary numbness in the nose
- Unsatisfactory nasal shape
Rhinoplasty recovery time and tips
The recovery time for rhinoplasty depends on different factors such as nasal bony and dissection but the average time for nose job recovery is about two or three weeks although as much as you can stay at home and rest, it would be better. You should also be aware that there is a difference between healing and recovering. You may be recovered post op the surgery after a few weeks but it can take longer to heal after the nose job (sometimes one year).
There are also some common tips for rhinoplasty aftercare, including:
- Use frozen peas to reduce swelling
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications
- Avoid spicy foods and limit your salt intake
- Use a saline nasal spray to clear the nasal activity instead of blowing the nose for two weeks.
- Get your eight glasses of water in order to reduce any kind of bruising and swelling
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Avoid any blood thinning products such as aspirin and Advil
After primary nose surgery, some patients may be unhappy with the appearance of their nose, or some deformities and breathing problems may occur for them after the nose surgery. There are some common problems that required revision rhinoplasties such as the collapse of cartilage or nasal bones, worsened asymmetry, nasal airway obstruction, profile deformities, and nasal tip problems.
Revision rhinoplasty or secondary rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging and complicated operations for a facial plastic surgeon because the anatomy inside the nose has been significantly altered by the original surgeon. So it should perform by an expertized surgeon that can be done by an open approach if there is need major structural changes or closed approach for minor contour corrections.
Is rhinoplasty worth it?
It is completely depending on why you want to have a nose job although rhinoplasty is one of the most common cosmetic surgeons. If nose surgery improves your breathing and sinus problems or straight your deviated septum, then, of course, it would be worth it. Or if your need is cosmetic, and it corrects your nasal bump, improves your appearance as well as your shape and symmetry of your nose and increases your self-steam, then also will be worth it but you should decide by yourself to go for it.
However, if you are interested to have nose surgery you should make sure to find the best rhinoplasty surgeon who is specialized in rhinoplasty surgery in order to avoid of common problems associated with the nose job and provide you the best outcome possible. On the other hand, as it mentioned earlier, initially you should check whether you are a right candidate for nose job as well as having enough study and research about the rhinoplasty before your procedure in order to have realistic expectations about the result of your nose surgery.